Broken heroes Renewed

He's standing on the ledge of the highest building.
Police are running like little ants down below.
Sirens are blaring uncontrollably, people are covering their ears as they kink their necks looking up.
News cameras are rolling, always rolling.
Firemen are at the nearest window telling him not to do anything he would regret, everything's going to be fine.

There's a man pushing through the crowd. Maybe he's his friend, his father, his brother? He must have said something convincing because the police let him through. 
Moments later everyone looks up when their eyes catch the man that pushed through the crowd making his way onto the ledge. The crowd holds their breath. 

They're up there for hours.



What's remaining of the crowd cheers as both men duck into the closest window. Reporters are talking a mile a minute of the mysterious man who saved the day. One even dares to add the man may have saved the city from cleaning up a big mess.

A woman holding a child asked the policemen who that man was that went up to help.
The policemen said "He just said he'd been there before"

-----



We can be heroes if we want to, you just have to catch us at the right time.
It's tricky though, we have this knack for tying our shadows to the base of our beds, making sure we don't go too far.
We cover all the mirrors in our lives because death isn't the only thing to mourn.

The other day I tied my shadow to the end of my bed.
I shut the blinds and covered everything not just the mirrors, just so I wouldn't see it handcuffed there, wrists raw and bleeding. 
My feet got too heavy, that's why I did it.
There are cities growing inside my feet. The cities look like Chicago when Al Capone was in charge. Every skyscraper is reaching above the clouds trying to get past the rain. Every man wears a hat with a cigar hanging out the corner of his mouth. Someone sold their soul to Capone, there's a feast for him. Everyone sold their soul, there's the biggest feast you've ever seen. So big no one even sees the man climb on the ledge. Except one guy. One guy that make his way up to him.
That one guy ripples through my streets, fireworks explode in the sky. Lungs hold hands for the first time, heart pounding against my chest suddenly feeling trapped.

This is how I uncover the mirrors, how I unlock the handcuffs and bandage the wounds.
How I push through the crowd of people to get to the girl standing on the next ledge.

My feet aren't heavy anymore.







2 Happy Thoughts:

  1. I feel broken, and I'm glad I'm not the only one that sometimes feels this way. I love youuu

    ReplyDelete