For Em

I know this girl, she's got gold hair and a hospital room heart.
She lives in a garden without maps.
And she falls for boys who have atlases for hands.
I'm not really sure why I'm so unsure all the time, but if there is one thing I am sure of it's Emma.


Emma's your emergency exit.
She's your car door, your sunroof window, your fingers surfing the waves out the window.
Emma has this way about her that opens you up, she can paint the universe on your hands.
And I'd say she's your GPS but with Em you don't need a GPS.

If anyone were to ask Emma what she does for a living she'd have a hard time telling them.
If you asked me I'd say she builds homes for a living.
Because every time I hear Emma's words she's building the bricks of my house.
But if you asked someone else they might say she's a dreamer for a living.
Constantly giving us the courage to build ourselves, to dream like she does.
Or she's an interior designer.
She paints the inside of people's souls and decorates it to be something people are proud of. 
Covers wounds and bumps and bruises with her paintings and flowers and gold.
Emma's always saving other's hearts, rearranging blood vessels so everything moves smoother.
She sure gonna have a hard time telling people what she does for a living.



Give me 10$ and I'll let you keep it all.
I'll carve Emma's initials into your brain stem so you can have every moment you've ever had with Emma written on you permanently.
So when you listen to songs, or hear someone talking late at night you'll always remember Em and her sleep talking and moments you had driving with her.
You'll see succulents at Home Depot and smile because Emma introduced you to those.
Give me 10$ to contribute to the truth that in this moment we once sat here, reading this computer screen remembering our Emma.
Realizing how grand she is.
10$ that's all and you'll be up every night refreshing her blog.
Rereading all her past posts just to hear her words again.
10$ so that every time you go into Hobby Lobby you'll stop at the front door feeling like something's off. Like you aren't suppose to go in without someone.
10$ is all I'm asking for and you can have every memory I've ever had with Emma too.
Sounds painful right? To have all these memories when she'll be gone for 18 months.
Don't worry I've thought it all through.
See, give me 10$ and that way when I remember, you will too. 
And we wont be alone.



Whenever I listen to "New York Soul" by Jon Bellion I see you Emma, along with every person that's slowly grown in my heart. I've got a garden full of people I want to hold onto so tight. 18 months isn't that big of a deal I know. You've forgotten you're reading dramatic-Hayley-Tanner's blog, not normal-thinking-Hayley-Tanner's.
There's so much I could say to you Emma. If I kept going I think there would be a lot of sorrys and lots of gratitude spilling onto the floor out your computer screen. But I cant think of how to say any more of it. You are one of the top people I can't wait to hug when we're all home again. I can't wait to hear about the minnesotans and their unbearably nice talk. I love you to the moon and back Miss Emma Carol Heath. Thank you for changing my life.



3 Happy Thoughts:

  1. I cried. All of the tears I wanted to cry while hugging you goodbye.

    No one has ever written a poem about me, not really. They've written about my eyes, or the way I look in the rain, but not about the inside of me.

    Thank you Hay.

    Love, Em

    TO ANYONE ELSE READING THIS: MY MIDDLE NAME IS NOT CAROL. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. could not more full heartedly agree! I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *snaps* *cries* *snaps* I love this.

    ReplyDelete